Some changes have come Kaitlynn's way...
When we moved, we kept her in the school she's been in since Kindergarten. Because we didn't live in that neighborhood anymore, we had to apply for open enrollment. Which we thought would be accepted no problem. But we received a letter in the mail last week saying their school is completely full and that she no longer had a place there.
Well, they expected her to enroll in the school that is within our boundaries.
But, the school within our boundaries is not a good school at all, they have had problems with drugs on campus, violence and about a year ago, there was a huge thing about a kid who brought a gun there. This school is located in an older subdivision that backs up to our subdivision. Our neighborhood is newer and way smaller, so we don't have our own school. So our kids have to be bussed out to this other school.
Well Chris and I have talked about it, and we don't want her to go there (obviously) so after much prayer and discussion, have decided to home school her. I know, I know! We've always said that would never happen, but we feel like the Lord is leading us, and we're going for it!
We've enrolled her in a state run and state funded program. It's not traditional home schooling. They are sending her, a computer and printer for her schooling. And we will also have a private teacher, working closely with us daily. We have a specific routine to follow, guidelines to abide by, and she will have to submit to testing once a month to make sure she's keeping up. I personally will have to log on daily and discuss with the teacher what the plan is for that day. Get her supplies ready (which they send to us) and log between 5 and 7 hours of schooling a day with her. About 20% of her work throughout the year, is done online. The rest is text book work which we will have to send in to the state for grading.
It's a HUGE responsibility and I take it very seriously. I had to sign all kinds of paperwork, and they are definitely holding me accountable, which is great!
We're looking forward to it (all 3 of us!) But I'll admit I am a little nervous.
Pray for us please!!

0 comments:
Post a Comment